Monday, January 23, 2006

READING "CHASING DAYLIGHT"

When a McGraw-Hill publicist asked whether I would like a review copy of a book by a recent KPMG CEO, I expected a first-person account of the accounting firm's battle to stave off death at the hands of a federal prosecuter. I assumed that I was offered the review copy as a result of my KPMG posts on my work blog, which covered the battle to avoid a firm indictment and the subsequent prosecution of individual partners. I took for granted the book would be on the same topics.

It was obvious I was mistaken when I saw my copy of "Chasing Daylight: How My Forthcoming Death Transformed My Life." This isn't about a figurative near-death experience. Eugene O'Kelley, former KPMG CEO wrote this book in the brief interlude between his dire cancer diagnosis and his death.

I haven't written anything like a book report in over 20 years, so I'm going to wing it here. I'll write my impressions as I read the book on this blog, and then I'll cross-post a full review here and on the work blog. The book is to be released February 1, so I will try to finish it up this week.

No comments: